Thursday, September 9, 2010

My Cycling Career

My parents bought me my first Trek when I was three years old.  I learned quickly how to ride without training wheels.  I rode in my first long distance race called the Tour de Donut when I was just six years old.  It was the summer of 2005 and it was very hot.  The race was 32 miles.  My mom checked up on my Dad and I every few miles, just to make sure I was ok.  There was a camera crew there that documented my ride.  It was quite cool, but I was tired and speechless in the end.  I have now moved on to riding longer distance races which includes the Tour de Cure for diabetes of which I recently made the 50 mile course for the third time and raised over $400.00 for the American Diabetes Association.  This past weekend I rode in the Gateway Cup in Benton Park of downtown St. Louis.  I raced in the 11-12  category and got first place. I am currently looking for a road bicyle team to join. I am also training for the Pedal the Parkland witch is a 66 mile course. I have passion for bike riding and somday hope to be a pro cylist in the Tour De France.

3 comments:

  1. Austin,

    I love the passion and determination you show with your committment to biking. Is there a link to the video they shot of you riding? I would love to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes my Dad created a website that is about our family but includes clips about my racing. This is my latest race the Gateway Cup.
    http://www.thegomesfamily.net/video/gateway.flv
    It's a little blurry and the clip is short. Listen closely to the announcer. The back part of the video is dancing by my siblings. My parents have a DVD from the documentary of my first Tour de Donut ride. I can make a copy and give you a personal disc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be cool! Will you sign it to, so when you are famous I can say I knew you when....

    ReplyDelete